The Webbs are first recorded in the history of Chewton Mendip in 1611 in Widcombe and appear consistently up to the modern era as farmers. There may be a link between a another branch of the Webb family and the Waldegraves via a daughter of the first earl.
Bob Webb is descended from a different branch again from Bristol. The following funeral announcement provides some background.
“Mr G W Webb, a City Missioner (sic) for Fifteen Years
The funeral of Mr George William Webb of Ashely Down Road, Bristol, took place on Saturday. The first part of the service was held Horefield Baptist Chapel. The Rev Emlyn Thomas officiated there and also at the internment at Greenback Cemetery
The mourners were the widow, Messers Harold William and Clifford Webb (sons), Misses Elsie and Grace Webb, Mrs William Webb and Mrs Clifford Webb (daughters-in-law). Mr Bale (son-in-law), Mr Ernest Webb (nephew), Mr and Mrs Walter Webb. Rev and Mrs Frank Webb (brother and sister-in-law). Mr and Mrs Melhuish and Mr and Mrs W. A. Harris (brother-in-law and sister) and Mr William Webb (brother).
Mr Web was a city missioner with the Bristol City Missionary Society for about 15 years and after leaving the mission continued to take interest in its welfare.
He was a local preacher and for the past 12 years he was engaged as a commercial traveller. He died suddenly at Exeter on one of his journeys.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Messers R Davies and Son of Horfield.”
The Bristol City Mission still operates from 1 Crofts End Road, Bristol, BS5 7UW.
Research conducted by Mike Matthews shows that George was 26 and married to Flora , also 26, when the 1891 census recorded they lived in 49 East Street, Bedminster. This site has been redeveloped but it probably was a retail outlet at the time. Elsie was one year old at the time and George was described as a confectioner. They were living in 189 Church Road Easton in 1901 when George was described as a City Missionary. Hilda was 3 years old and one son (William Henry) was 10 months old. They were living at 39 Western Street, Barton Hill in 1911. Harold George was 16, Grace Evelyn was 9 and George Clifford was 3. George was still a missionary at the time. The article about the burial is undated but the photograph on the back suggests it was taken in the 1920s which is the approximate date of George’s death.
It may be co-incidence but Charles Wesley Harris was a staunch Methodist as well as having a significant role in Mendip Motors which had moved from Cutlers Green to Bristol about the same time. It is believed that Charles Harris had relatives living in bristol.
Also, a Thomas Melhuish, an accountant from Temple Cloud, bought land, houses and farms in Chewton Mendip from the Kingsmills in 1854. This may have included Double House and Cutlers Green farm in Chewton Mendip. It is believed that Thomas Melhuish practiced in Bristol.