Skip to content

Tegg

The  only direct  link between Dagg family  an Chewton Mendip is Daggs Lane that leads from the High Street to The Folly but the Tegg family are first recorded in Stowey in 1514 and in  Ston Easton in  1544.  It is believed Tegg  and Dagg were alternative spellings of the same name. There were probably several branches of the family in the area so this page lists the information in chronological order.
 Willelmo Tegge was paying x11d lay subsidy in Sutton Episcopie (Bishops Sutton) in 1327.
Thomas Tegge, B.A. became vicar of Stowey in 5 July 1514 an died  1522. Parish priests were almost the lowest rank at the time but at least he was educated. Stowey is very close to Hinton Blewett and Widcombe.
Geoffrey Loxton states in his book, Ston Easton Perambulation, that Robert Dagge was paying 6 shillings rent for 22 acres when John Hippisley conducted the first review of the land he had acquired from the recently dissolved Bruton Abbey in 1544.
 A Robert Dagge was one the tenants from Ston Easton (major) involved in a boundary dispute in Hollow Marsh in 1562. it is assumed it was the same one.
 A Isabel Tegg of Hinton Blewett married John Plaister of Widcombe in Chewton Mendip in October 1567. Widcombe is physically closer to Hinton Blewett but it was a detached tithing of Chewton Mendip at the time.  There was also a Ston Easton link with the Plaister family. Isabel was the second wife of John Plaister I. He married his first wife, Margery Nashe of Chewton  Mendip in 1561 but Isabell was the mother of John Plaister II. This supports the theory that John Plaister II later occupied Chewton Manor House which resulted in the lane opposite being named after his mother’s family.
Dwelly’s Parish Records lists a burial for John Tegge in West Harptree on 31st March 1598-9.
 Alice Tegg married Robert Mogg at Hinton Blewett on 3rd May 1660.
Dwelly’s Parish Records lists a christening of Mary, the daughter of John Tegge in Stowey on 3rd November 1622.
 Dwelly’s Parish Records lists a burial of  Peter Tegg, son of Robert Tegg of Stowey. The burial was in  Chew Magna on 12th June 1605.
A Thomas Dagge was paid for building a wall around a field called Newlands in Emborough in 1609.  Thomas and Alicia Dagge were listed separately as tenants in Ston Easton in 1612. A Thomas Dagge, probably the same man, was a witness of an assault by Thomas Hippisley in a lead mine near Emborough in 1616.
Grace Tegg was a proprietor of land in Widcombe in 1611. She was probably a widow or perhaps the daughter of a deceased father because married women were not allowed to own property at that time. She may not have owned the land, she may have rented it. It may have been held by a family for a number of ‘lives’ so she either inherited the tenancy from her father but more likely she carried on the tenancy of her dead husband. Not only did some women pay poor rates and other taxes some women acted as overseers but there is no evidence that Grace did.
The Poor Laws were relatively new at the time having been enacted in the Elizabethan era. The qualification for paying poor rates was set at land assessed at 40 shillings (£2) which was a substantial sum at the time so Grace was probably a wealthy widow.  She was probably the Grace Tagg, widow of Hinton Blewett, buried on 16th April 1639 at Chewton Mendip. However, the link to the Plaister family and the status of William Tegg means the Teggs could have been relatively significant land owners.
William Tegge, B.A. St. Mary Hall 6 May 1602; vicar of Backwell 1613, and rector of Norton Malreward from 1614 until 1639. Backwell is about 10 miles from Norton Malreward so it is possible he served both parishes but Vicars only held their land during their lifetime whilst rectors can pass their land onto their children. He was a ‘pluralist’ during a time of religious tension which combined with the link to the Plaister family suggests he was ‘high church’.
Dwelly’s Parish Records lists a baptism for William Tegg in Cheddar dated 31st January 1608. His parents were Arnye and Edith Tegg.
Dwelly’s Parish Records lists a christening of Agnes, the daughter of Nicholas Tegg in Chew Magna in 1616. She may have died soon after because there is a burial listed for an unspecified relative of Nicholas Tegg on 14th July 1616.
Dwelly’s Parish Records lists a burial for Robert Tegg of Stowey in Chew Magna in on 17th April 1621. There is a second burial for Robert Tegg of Stowey dated 28th November 1621.
Dwelly’s Parish Records lists a burial for Eleanor Tegg Widow on 16th March 1623 in Hinton Blewett. Robert Tegg was a churchwarden, John Gibbens was the rector.
Thomas Tegge of Stoke Lane (Stoke St Michael) died in 1627. His will was proved on April 25th 1627. The Executrix was his wife, Ann. Their son, Thomas is mentioned, and two daughters, Susan and Agnis. The overseers were Tobias Tegge, brother of Thomas and Roger Tegge.
Unfortunately, Thomas Tegge does not specify his relationship with Roger, maybe he was a cousin.  Stoke St Michael is about 10 mils to the east of Chewton Mendip so this information may not be relevant to the story of  Chewton Mendip except the details specified in the will. ” the profitts of the living of Henton in the parish of Camelie” should pass to the son, Thomas Tegge. This is assumed to refer to Hinton Blewett and Cameley which is now hardly more than a church near Temple Cloud but it was once a larger place. These places are all close to Chewton Mendip and Stowey.
What is also significant is that the Hippisley family also owned land at Cameley. Ston Easton and Emborough were the main centre of the Hippisley land and Ston Easton is relatively close to Stoke St Michael. It is also significant that Thomas senior was leaving the profits of the living to his son. Rectors could pass on their land to their family whilst vicars only held part of the rectors land for their life time. This suggests that the Teggs had profited from the dissolution of the monasteries, not as significantly as the Hippisley family but they were rectors of two or more parishes. This information conflicts with the Clergy database which lists Thomas Dyer as the rector of Hinton Blewett whilst Samuel Oliver is listed as the rector of Camely in 1627.
Both of these records could be slightly wrong. Either or both of them may have been vicars not rectors although Dwelly’s confirms that Thomas Dier was the rector in 1623. Samuel Oliver was also listed as Samuel Glin. Both Thomas Dier/Dyer and Samuel Oliver were previously described as a ‘preacher’ which suggests that somebody else, like Thomas Tegge, owned the church property. This was at a time when there was conflict between the Bishop of Bath & Wells, the rectors and the parish priests which would eventual contribute to the civil war that broke out later.
Roger Tegge is also mentioned in the will of Joanne Haydon, widow, of Widcombe, proved 31st May, 1637/8. The Executrix of Joane’s will was her daughter, Amye, who had married Roger Tegge. It is assumed this was the same Roger Tegge listed in the will of Thomas Tegg of Stoke St Michael but this cannot be proven. This Roger had married Joanne’s daughter, Amie. Joane Haydon also left bequests to Roger the younger, Thomas, William, Hanna, Mary and Amye the younger. The overseers were Tobias Tegge and Edward Vowles.
The link to the Plaister family was reconfirmed when Ann Plaister, born c1639, married Richard Tagg at Hinton Blewett on 23rd December 1664. This confirms that the Plaisters still lived in Hinton Blewet but it is possible that Richard Tagg was living in a building that occupid the site of the modern Manor House or Chewton House in Chewton Mendip which are both close to Daggs Lane.
 George Tegge of Stowey married someone called Mary in 1640. It is not clear if there was a direct link to the Willelmo Tegge listed in 1327 but Bisshop’s Sutton was a subsidiary hamlet of Stowey although Bishops Sutton is now the larger village.
Tobias Tegg was assessed for  £1  for land in the Protestation and lay subsidy in Cameley in 1670 whilst John Dagg was assessed for  £1. John Dagger was exempted from the hearth tax in Cameley 1670.
Mary Tegg left a close called Hunt Mead or Church Bridge for the use of the poor of Hinton Blewett in a will dated 5/6/1702. The ground was bought by John Wookey.
 John Tegge of Stowey gave his lands in Morton to support the poor children of Chew Magna which included Stowey and Bishop’s sutton at the time. He appeared to have no connection with the other Tegges of Stowey, e.g. George and Mary Tegge who married in 1640. Moreton is now under the Chew Valley lake.
 A John Tegg was paying poor rates in Ston Easton in 1702 and a 1710 map shows a properties called Tegg and Dagg in 1710 which suggests that the names had diverged by that date. It appears that the Teggs of Ston Easton/Chewton Mendip settled on Dagg whilst other members of the family persisted with variations of Tegg
 One ironic twist is that a Shirley Tigg was evacuated to Chewton Mendip in 1941 and stayed in a house which was then called Navestock which is barely fifty meters from Daggs lane.
Advertisements
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: